Friday, February 3, 2012

Winter Wreath

I needed something to transition my mantle from Christmas to Spring.... at first I thought I would do this project as Valentine's Day wreath, complete with a red felt heart, but the hubster did not like the look of that.  We agreed on the bow.  I think it turned out nice and fits perfectly on my mantle.



I'm sure you've seen how to do this - it's not rocket science!  But, I'll give you a quick step-by-step anyway...

First, cut out a couple thousand hundred (it just feels like thousands) felt circles.  I used a travel coffee mug as my template.  I actually used close to 250 circles.  (I ended up using about 1 yard of 72 in" felt.)


I purchased a styrofoam wreath and a package of straight pins along with my felt.  


To start, you take a felt circle and fold it in half...


then you fold it in half again...


then you take one of your straight pins and just start pinning!  Push the pin through the point of your felt piece straight into the wreath form.  Then pin the next one right up next to it.  You should "fluff" the pieces as you go to make sure you are getting the fullness you want and not just squished felt.  (You'll notice that my felt and wreath form are both white.  That helps in case part of your wreath peeks through the pieces.  If you are using a different colored felt, I would recommend spray painting the wreath the same color.  It's worth the effort!)


Here it is almost done... I ran out of circles and had to cut some more!


Like I said, it took me awhile to first figure out where to put the wreath and second how to adorn it.  I had an empty spot on my mantle, so I rested it there (just to get it out of the way) and we really liked the look of it.  I then used some wide leopard print ribbon to make a bow and attached it with fishing line.  The great thing is that the bow isn't a permanent part of the wreath and I can change it with the seasons if I so desire!


And that's it!  I'd love to know if any of you attempt this project.  Send me pictures and we'll get them posted!

By the way...if you are a regular reader of this blog, I would love for you to "officially" follow me.  Just click "Follow" up at the top or join this site with Google Friend Connect.  It's the only why I know who even cares what's going on in our little corner of Oklahoma.  And thanks for stopping by!

Love you all!

Rulissa

No comments:

Post a Comment